>Western Pacific Ocean, Saturday, Sept. 20th

>We left Yokosuka Navy Base recently after a couple of days of R&R. The base has become our primary spot for patrol breaks and is about 2 hours south of Tokyo. The crew seems to enjoy the liberty as the base has quite a bit to offer including Chili’s, Starbucks, free Wi-Fi, nice fitness facilities, a hospital, a big commissary and Exchange, and movie theaters. The weather was warm and windy but it rained most of the time.

Besides liberty, we also received a bunch of parts to fix things so the engineers and electronic technicians spent some long hours correcting some of our casualties including installing a new galley exhaust fan, replacing a huge valve in the engine room, and fixing one of our fathometers that quit working. We are able to get fuel by barge as well as reload food though the last time we ordered a bunch of hamburger buns and bread which didn’t last too long before it turned moldy. The cooks ended up baking bread and rolls which everyone seemed to really like.

During the port call, we sent the helo to a local navy base so they could do some flying to maintain their qualifications. We left the pier around 1600 (4:00 pm) after Typhoon Sinlaku passed well off shore and anchored about a mile from the base to wait for the helo to arrive. The attached photo shows SN Adam Yarosz and SN Mark Harless attaching the pelican hook to the anchor chain. The pelican hook is a really heavy piece of equipment that helps hold the anchor chain as we ride at anchor. The helo had some minor electronic problems on start up that delayed their arrival until after dark. Once we recovered the helo, we raised the anchor and transited out bound to sea. Normally, we try to make our transits in and out of Yokosuka during daylight as it’s an incredibly busy transit with so much huge shipping traffic and little fishing boats that it can become a bit like a floating traffic jam. Since we’ve been in and out a few times and the crew is very experienced with the area by now, the night time transit was safe, just a little more exciting. As we were getting ready to raise the anchor, the moon rose and it was huge and bright red as it came up through the clouds.

We’re back on patrol, looking for our next boarding…

From Capt. Craig Lloyd, Coast Guard Cutter Munro Commanding Officer